Biking Essentials: Bike Lights and Reflective Gear
Being visible when you’re biking is key safety—especially if you’re riding at dawn, dusk or at night. Bike lights greatly increase your visibility; and the more visible you are, the safer you'll be. Try to ensure you are visible from all angles in the dark.
Bike light tips:
- Use white lights in front and red lights in the rear.
- Don’t forget to check your batteries and keep a spare set.
- A wide range of bike lights are available through local and online retailers – many of which are relatively inexpensive.
- Consider high-quality halogen lights, if you bike a great distance or ride on roads where lighting is poor or variable.
- Consider adding extra lights or reflectors; extra visibility never hurts.
Other ways to increase how visible you are on the road:
- Clip a flashing light to your jacket or pack.
- Put some inexpensive reflective tape (available at local bike shops and other retail stores) on the front and back of your jacket.
- Use a front, back and side reflector.
- Wear reflective bands on your helmet, wheel spokes and even your pant legs.
- Being more visible to drivers can make a big difference in how safe you are on the road.
More On Bike Essentials: