Biking with Kids
Biking is a good way for the whole family to get around – it’s fun and promotes good health!
Tips on biking with your kids:
- Safety is #1. Be more aware of traffic than you would be on your own. Have your kids wear helmets and start teaching them bike safety early on.
- Teach basic biking and safety skills including, traffic signs and signals, stopping to look both ways when in traffic, walking you bike across roads and so on.
- Take it slow. Naturally, you children will ride slower than you do so keep in mind that a normal ride for you may take twice as long with children.
- When on a longer ride, take breaks. Bring food and water and allow kids to rest and explore for a bit.
- Carry a first aid kit and a repair kit so you will be prepared for any spills or technical difficulties.
- Dress your kids for the changing weather. Keep your kids warm and dry with jackets, mittens, ponchos etc. and bring along a pack with extra layers or space to store jackets if the weather warms up.
- Plan your biking route ahead of time so you won’t get lost and make it enjoyable. Try and avoid hills if you’re riding with young or new riders.
More On Family Biking:
Bicycle Safety for Parents