Getting There: Walking to do Errands
Got some errands to run nearby? Try walking to get your errands done. Typically, if it’s within two miles from you it can be
considered walkable. Not only can you get what you need, but the walking will help keep you fit and healthy while relieving
stress on your wallet and the planet. So put on your best walking shoes and head out to the nearest store, bank, post office or wherever you may need to go.
Here are some tips to help you walk to get your errands done:
- Locate stores closest to your home. Use GPS, online tools or smart phone applications to search for the closest locations to your home or work. Search for the nearest bank, post office, grocery store, gym or wherever you need to go. You can also search directions in Google Maps and get them specifically for walking.
- Try and locate the route which happens to have the most sidewalks so you will not end up walking in the street.
- Plan out your trip in advance so you can be sure to have the best directions before you leave.
- Give yourself plenty of time to get your errands done and enjoy being outdoors.
- Bring a big bag or pack that will allow you to carry as many items that you can comfortably on your walk. Carrying multiple shopping bags can be difficult, so the bigger the better.
- Another option is to get a shopping cart that will allow you to bring back more from the store without overwhelming your arms.
- Remember to limit the items that you purchase during your trip so that you can be sure to make it home with everything.
- Go at a time when there is a very small amount of traffic in the area. This will help to ensure that you don't get caught up in gridlock. If you wait until after rush hour than you should have no problem making your way to the store and back.
More On Walk To: