Walking Gear: Accessories Make the Walker
Extra gear can make your walk more enjoyable. In addition to the basics like clothes, shoes and bags, there are more accessories available that can add to your walk wherever you want to go.
Here are some tips on additional walking gear:
- Water Containers- If you plan on walking for longer than 30 minutes it is important to bring some water along. There are many convenient water carriers, such as waist packs, CamelBaks and plain old water bottles.
- Umbrellas - Tiny compact collapsible umbrellas can fit in a bag, pack or even a pocket, that way you are always prepared for an unexpected downpour.
- Pedometer - A pedometer will count your steps and/or mileage.
- Personal Stereo - A personal stereo or MP3 player can be a great walking companion. Music can motivate and energize you. Be sure to keep the volume at a low enough level so you can hear what is going on around you, and use good judgment.
- Smart Phone Applications - If you have an iPhone, Blackberry or other smart phone device you can turn it into a helpful walking tool with certain applications.
- Walk Score iPhone App: Use the Walk Score app to find another route home or explore a new neighborhood. Now available for free in Apple's App Store!
- Map My Walk/Run iPhone & Blackberry Apps: Calculate your pace speed and more. Track your walks with GPS and calculate time and distance.
More On Walking Gear: