What’s Your Neighborhood Walk Score?
A walkable neighborhood is one that is designed with streets for all types of transportation. You can walk to shops and schools as well as parks and public spaces.
Here’s how to check a neighborhood’s walk score:
- Enter the address in the address box
- Click Go and wait for your score to be calculated
The Walk Score is a reflection of how easy it is to get around without a car. However, it does not take into account how pretty the area is for walking. Your Walk Score is a number between 0 and 100. Here are general guidelines for interpreting your score:
- 90–100 = Walkers' Paradise: Most errands can be accomplished on foot and many people get by without using a car.
- 70–89 = Very walkable: It's possible to get by without driving.
- 50–69 = Somewhat walkable: Some stores and amenities are within walking distance, but many everyday trips still require a bike, public transportation, or car.
- 25–49 = Car-Dependent: Only a few destinations are within easy walking range. For most errands, driving or public transportation is a must.
- 0–24 = Car-Dependent (Driving Only): Virtually no neighborhood destinations within walking range.
You can rate your area’s walkability on your own by asking these questions on your next walk:
- Did you have room to walk?
- Was it easy to cross the streets?
- Was it easy to walk safely?
More On Walking Tips: