Burning calories instead of gas by biking is good for your health and your wallet. You don’t need a lot of special equipment—even with just a bike, a lock, helmet and light you’re ready to go. Inexpensive biking gear is available now more than ever, making it easy to enjoy the benefits of biking.
Five reasons to bike commute instead of drive:
- Bicycle commuting burns an average of 300 calories per hour
- Portland’s investment in biking will save $400M in health care by 2040
- Cars account for about 50 percent of air pollution nationwide
- Riding your bike 20 miles a week cuts the risk in half of having cardiovascular disease in the future
- Half of the trips in America can be completed within a 20-minute bike ride
More On Bike Essentials: